The dental assisting program provides the educational environment and experiences necessary for a student to prepare for employment as a dental assistant.
The program graduate will have the knowledge and skills needed to assist during the delivery of dental care and to perform supportive laboratory and business office procedures in an effective professional manner.
The program graduate will meet all requirements for the practice of dental assisting in the state of Nebraska and will be eligible to take the Dental Assisting National Board examination to become a Certified Dental Assistant (CDA).
The dental assisting program is accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation. For more information about the dental assisting programs in Nebraska, visit The American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation website http://www.ada.org/en/coda/find-a-program/search-dental-programs/allied-programs.
Student Learning Outcomes
Dental Assisting graduates are prepared to:
- Practice professional and ethical standards.
- Provide clinical support in a dental environment.
- Perform laboratory and business office supportive functions.
Applicants to the dental assisting program are required to have:
- a high school diploma or equivalent with at least a “C” average or a college GPA of 2.0
- documentation of placement test scores that meet program requirements
- essential functions release
- proof of 16 hours of observation in a dental office, and
- a personal interview with a member of the program staff.
- proof of hepatitis B immunization.
For more detailed information on the admission procedure and process, please contact the program director.
- Additional costs for uniforms, student-in-practicum insurance, professional association membership, and immunizations will be incurred by the student.
- Current CPR certification is required.
- Immunizations are required, see program director for the specific immunizations needed.
- A grade of “C” or higher must be earned in all required courses, including general education courses.
Associate of Applied Science